Bush regeneration is part of our Catchment Action Program when grant funding is available. Georges Riverkeeper works with Member Councils to identify appropriate sites and develop and implement an on-ground works plan. Council is generally responsible for the maintenance of the site post-grant and the site is included in their bush maintenance programs.

It is estimated that 45% of the Georges River Catchment is in natural condition while the remaining 55% is urbanised. Our River Health Report Cards show that across urbanised areas of the Georges River Catchment, most riparian vegetation is highly degraded. Fragmentation, edge effects and nutrient inputs from stormwater foster loss of native vegetation and promote the growth of weeds.

The Georges River is fortunate to include the Dharawal, Heathcote, Georges River and Kamay/Botany Bay National Parks within its boundaries as well as the Holsworthy Army Base and the Towra Point Nature and Aquatic Reserves. 

A majority of ecological communities within the catchment are endangered or vulnerable. For example Cumberland Plain Woodland which once covered around 50% of the catchment has been reduced to an estimated 9% of the pre-European distribution of the community and is classified as Critically Endangered.

The loss and degradation of remnant bushland results in the reduction of vital ecosystem service functions such as: clean water, fresh air, climate regulation, carbon sequestration, soil formation and retention, pollination, biodiversity, wildlife habitat and public amenity. 

In the past grant funding was available to support the Aboriginal Riverkeeper Team and numerous Green Army teams. Current funding includes stream restoration projects in conjunction with member councils.